Let’s get right to it. This is my survival guide for the first 6 weeks of life with a newborn. Being pregnant we imagine the baby peacefully sleeping in his crib until he calmly wakes to eat and then he will be soothed back to sleep without a hitch. Well, the reality is you’ll try anything and everything in efforts to get that beautiful baby cry to quiet the F down. Here’s the items that have been near and dear to my new mom heart the past 6 weeks.
- Auto Rock n’ Play Sleeper – $79 Target. This is pure genius people. Kent sleeps in it every single night, even when we’re out of town visiting family because it’s so easy to pack up. It makes adorable little sounds that I choose to never play because rather than them being adorable they are actually really annoying. But it automatically rocks him all night (there’s also a cheaper version that does not auto rock but I highly recommend spending the extra $15.) The number one reason why I love it is because it keeps the baby on a large incline so if your baby is anything like mine, he spits up enough to drown himself and a small village… so this helps me sleep at night knowing only his toes might drown as the spit up slides its way down… cute image, huh?
- My Brest Friend – (breast feeding pillow) – $39 Target. This is not your typical boppy pillow that everyone has. It is SO MUCH BETTER. It buckles around your waist and has a cushion for your back. Also in case nobody told you, breastfeeding makes you hungry so this works also as a plate for your sandwich. I have to admit, it’s not the sexiest thing I’ve ever put on my body but it’s been absolutely awesome. Oh, and it has a pocket… as you can see which comes in handy for your cell phone, water bottle, beer… whatever.
- Boppy Lounger – $30 Target. This is my every day go-to item. If I take a shower,sit down to eat, or simply want to put the dang baby down… I almost always put him in this lounger. I don’t know about you but I don’t like to put my baby in his crib or bassinet if he’s awake. I want him right where I can see his beautiful blue eyes. So this is perfect. I would say this is a must have item. Kent absolutely loves it. He’s in it right now!
- Velcro Swaddles – $30 Target. These swaddles will save your life. Please don’t waste your time with those huge blanket swaddles that end up looking like a thick belt around his waist because they always come undone. Do yourself a favor and invest in these.
- Nuk Pacifier – $10 set of four at WalMart. Is there anything in the world cuter than a baby with a pacifier? I was nervous about introducing a pacifier because I didn’t want it to interrupt our breastfeeding marathon. My pediatrician recommended this brand and I can promise you… these pacifiers are the key to life.
- Fold n’ Go Bassinet – $32 Target. This was an item I put on my registery not knowing if I’d ever use it or not but the truth is it’s been awesome! Whenever we are out on our patio or take him to the park we bring it with us and he loves it. Super lightweight, breathable and easy to travel with anywhere. If you’re going to be outdoors in nice weather, this is a must.
I would love to end this post more gracefully but I’ve got a crying baby yelling at me. Gotta go! If you have any suggestions for other items you love please share below!